Karnala Fort Trek Easy Trek Near Mumbai
About Karnala Fort:
Karnala fort is a hill fort in Raigad district about 10 km from Panvel city. Currently it is a protected place lying within the Karnala Bird Sanctuary. Today, the ruins of the fort are a popular destination for hiking and tourism.It is a wonderful trek of 1 hour from the bottom of the hill. There are 5 resting places on the pathway made by forest department. The final climbing steps near the entrance of the fort are made safe by iron railings. It is not advisable to cook food at the base of the pinnacle, as the smell of smoke irritates the Honey Bees. The water from the southernmost rock cut water cistern is portable. First aid is available at the Forest guest house.Trekking during the monsoon is really an exhilarating experience.
Karnala fort actually consists of two forts one at a higher level and other lower. At the centre of the higher level is a 125 feet high basalt pillar. It is also called Pandu's tower. This structure was used as watchtower when the fort was occupied however now it is in a ruined condition. The presence of bee hives also makes it difficult to climb and have resulted in at least one casualty in recent times. There is a water cistern which provides fresh water all year long. From the top the forts of Prabalgad, Manikgad, Haji Malang, Chanderi fort, Matheran, Sankshi fort, Dronagiri fort, and Rajmachi are clearly visible.
The fort has two inscriptions one in Marathi and the other in Persian. The Marathi inscription which has no date is seen on the lower gate on the inner side. Its words are indecipherable. The Persian writing is on upper gate reads "Syed Nuruddin Muhammad Khan, Hijri, 1147 AH (1735 CE) and probably dates from the Mughal occupation of the fort. This rock cut inscription has been removed by some miscreants long back.
Bhavani Temple - There is a temple deddicated to goddess Bhavani located at the bottom of the fort. It is said that the goddess gave a sword to king Shivaji, which he then used to conquer a vast area of land for the establishment of a Hindu nation.
Batches for Karnala Fort:
- 22nd October 2017
- 29th October 2017
- Trek Difficulty - Easy
- Trek Distance - 3 km
- Washroom Available at base village
- Location: Near Panvel
- Karnala Fort Trek Transport - Sharing Jeep
- Karnala Fort Height - 1500 ft
- Karnala Fort - Hill Fort
- Minimum - 5 participants required to conduct the event
- Maximum: 25 participants
- Base Village: Shirdhon
- District: Raigad
Karnala Fort Trek - Itinerary:
1 Veg Breakfast
Travel from Panvel ST depot – to Karnala fort base – and back to Panvel ST depot by tumtum / ST
Karnala Wildlife Sanctuary Entry fee
- Emergency Medical evacuations if any required
- Insurance and any item/event not mentioned in the inclusion list.
- Camera fees and Lunch
- Please carry lunch or snacks for this trek
How to Register
22nd October 2017 - Buy Tickets -
29th October 2017 - Buy Tickets -
For registration and confirmation transfer Rs. 800.00 per person.
Account Name: Treks and Trails
Bank Name: Axis Bank
Account Number: 917020047534079
Branch: Churchgate - Mumbai
IfSC Code: UTIB0000695
Account Type: Current Account
Please Call or email for any clarification:
- Rajesh Mhaddalkar +919869629288 / +919768341848 (Trek Leader)
- Treks and Trails Mumbai 8828746865
- 50 % refund if notified via phone conversation 3 days prior to the event date
- No refund if the cancellation requested is less than 3 days. No show No Refund.
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another date against cancellation
- Event Tickets cannot be transferred to another person against cancellation
Treks and Trails Event Rules
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- Trek leader’s decision will be final and binding.
- TreksandTrails reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice.
- Telephonic confirmation is mandatory, if unable to contact us, please send us a text message.
- Sleeveless, low neck, figure hugging shirts/tops, short pants, hot pants not allowed.
- Please do not carry handbags or jolas or sling bags.
Things to Carry
Treks and Trails India recommends things to carry:
- Haversack to keep hands free
- Water bottle 3lts.
- Ready to eat food, like plum cakes, chocolate bar, some snacks & biscuits etc.
- Camera (Optional)
- Electoral Powder or Glucon D powder.
- Personal medicines.
- Carry one time meal (Lunch) for the trek.
Disclosures on medical conditions and Event Risk Profile:
It is mandatory that you visit your personal physician before enrolling for the trip if you suffer from any illness of any kind and disclose the same and your medical history to the organizers of the trip so that best possible arrangements can be carried out post approval. As organizers of the trip, we will be responsible for providing basic first aid throughout the trip. In case of unexpected mishaps or accidents, we will arrange for the injured patron to be taken to the nearest medical hospital wherever possible. The medical expenses will have to be borne by the patrons themselves. The cost mentioned above is for Indian citizens ONLY payable in Indian Rupees.
We recommend you to please take care while walking / climbing / trekking. Wearing of any valuables, ornaments, jewellery etc. is prohibited. Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events, you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner. We should strictly follow the code of conduct, to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or outside. Do not misinterpret it as a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR. We all are going for an adventurous and interesting trekking expedition. Note, this trek route does not have any fixed/proper/appropriate washrooms or bathrooms.
Whatsapp Broadcast list regular update
Step 1 : Save number in your phone book Treks and Trails India - 9619095743
Step 2 : Ping us your name and email
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now
Facebook Page -https://www.facebook.com/TreksandTrailsMumbai